Monday, December 1, 2014

How fast does PVNS return?

The common response I've heard to the question of "how fast will PVNS return?" is that it grows faster the more you mess with it.  So injuries and surgeries seem to instigate rapid growth.  My first tumor took about 10 years to grow to the point where I could no longer bend my leg before I had my first surgery which was over a year and a half ago.  My recent MRI last month showed that there was a "lesion" that was "slightly larger than the previous exam" (pre-op).  I'm assuming that means the surgeon left some PVNS in my knee whether he knew it or not at the time.  During my follow up visit we discussed the "leave it be and see" option.  I'm reluctant to have the same surgeon perform my next surgery since he did not remove all of the PVNS the first time.  I knew something was up when he told me there would be a time limit on my surgery.  And the recovery seemed to take longer as well as noticable things like shooting pains and my knee still feeling tight when I went hiking or going down stairs.  But now that it's confirmed I feel like I'm losing my mobility much sooner and don't think I will make it another decade before I have my next surgery.  Not to mention the longer I leave it there the more potential damage it can do.  It can literally eat my knee if left alone for too long.  Another PVNS sufferer in the same state I live in says he just has an annual keyhole arthroscopy to keep him mobile.  The thought of having ongoing surgery is not palatable.  Also, the more surgery, the more damage and risk for having a full on knee replacement would be in my future.  Being 41, I need to consider how much surgery I should be taking on.  Since my next impending surgery will only be my second I will just need to continue to wait and let it do it's thing.  The Thanksgiving holiday threw me off my diet and I'm trying hard to stick to it since that is the only thing I can manage and control since I can't wave any magic wands and make it go away.  I know that everyone with PVNS has a different story.  I didn't have an injury, it doesn't feel hot to the touch, and I don't usually have pain or swelling.  So I'm still waiting until I can't walk anymore before my next surgery.  Could be next year, could be later.  That's the problem, there is no good answer to the question.  Everyone's different.  I can only hope that mine doesn't grow so fast that I will need surgery sooner than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment