Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lifestyle changes coming

It is so great to have a support system.  I found a page on Facebook called "PVNS is Pants" and it has been nothing but awesome. Especially when I post questions and get quick responses.  Having only starting my journey, it is encouraging to get feedback and hear stories of seasoned PVNS sufferers. 

I've been terrible at keeping up with an exercise regiment because I feel so disabled, it discourages me.  I can no longer do many of the activities I used to be able to do.  I feel quite bummed when I see people in their jogging gear and think to myself, "I can't do that".  But I know I need to change my tune when it comes to being active.  I can still do things, just not everything.  So I started getting up earlier to do sit ups and leg lifts.  At least I can do that.  That is a start and I will continue to seek exercise activities that I can do pre-op.  I need to get into that habit long before I commit to all of the changes I anticipate.

I have not yet got any acupuncture sessions planned but I have a few places I am thinking of going to.  That is still a ways off.  I was in a debate yesterday of whether or not acupuncture is a viable source of healing.  I believe it is because it has worked for me with other things.  My friend suggested it is just a placebo.  Yet, he has never tried it so I'm sticking to my plan.

My argumentative friend also pointed out that if I am to change my diet and commit to it, I am crazy for currently eating everything under the sun.  I explained the process I am taking with regards to what I eat.  This month I am eating anything that is offered.  Fish and chips, yes.  Ice cream, yes.  Cookies, yes.  But when I am eating them.  I am slowly savoring the initial taste and enjoying it.  Then as I am finishing consuming I change my thinking to, "what is so great about this?".  I start thinking about how much sugar or fat I am consuming and then declare the flavor is not all that great either.  I am psyching myself out so that when I am confronted in the future about these same edibles I will think, yes that is gross.  And therefore I won't be tempted to eat them after June 1st.  That is the day I chose to commit to my new diet so that it won't be such a shocker when I am post-op June 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment