Wednesday, July 12, 2023

PVNS or TGCT - Post Opp Success

 When I was diagnosed with PVNS in 2013 I had already known about the bulging tumor for about 10 years that protruded from the lower left side of my right knee.  Eventually it got so difficult to bend the knee without manually moving the tumor out of the way.  I had to demand to have it removed surgically after it was confirmed as diagnosed PVNS through MRI's that I was injected with contrast.  And that was after they ran a whole set of knee images without it.  The surgeon and the hospital that was helping me wasn't my favorite.  I was especially not fond of the fact that he had a conversation with me about the procedure right after I woke up.  Have you ever tried to remember anything after a surgery?  I think good doctors should schedule a post op appointment within the next few weeks or call the patient the following day.  Both is best but I don't always get that level of care.

After 3 surgeries, the last 2 being with the same surgeon.  I chose him after interviewing many other surgeons in the area and then my regular physician and I ended up googling a doctor at a hospital that we agreed to try.  He wasn't the guy.  But he did refer me to the one I trusted from then on out.

Because it's a teaching hospital, the surgeon was allowed to experiment and chose to cauterize the lining of my knee.  It seemed to work because it has been 5 years since my last surgery and I have little pain or discomfort.  And am quite mobile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment