Thursday, August 1, 2013

PT or not PT

Physical Therapy.  Do I need it?  After the arthroscopy I felt fine.  I was doing the exercises my surgeon said I should I do and then got a little over entheusiastic about it and did more reps than I should have and then started experiencing pain.  I decided PT was for me.  I talked to a physical therapist that agreed I should start PT.  I went through the process of getting a referral from my surgeon, called the PT office to make an appointment, went through their lengthy questions over the phone and then "OH! We don't accept your insurance!  Call another PT".  So I called PT office #2.  They started asking me all the same questions, my name, phone number, address, blah blah blah.  I cut the receptionist short so I could ask the pressing question, "Do you accept my insurance?"  No.

I called the insurance company, "Where can I get PT?" Downtown Seattle.
Now I live in a neighborhood that is kind of south, kind of west of downtown and the traffic situation continues to get worse.  Best case scenario, it can take up to a half hour to get downtown and sometimes longer during traffic.  Otherwise it would take me 20 minutes to get there and get parking, which is not free.  So the expense of the gas money, combined with the parking fees, along with time I don't have to waste sitting in traffic equates to not going to happen.

So now what?  I will do it myself.
I hit the gym every day. (ok not every day but that's what I tell myself).
30 minutes on the bicycle to start and then move on to weight machines that allow me to do squats.  I try to do a lot of different leg machines to mix it up.  I find when I don't go to the gym my knee starts hurting and locking up.  But when I do go to the gym I feel like I get more flexibility in my knee and less pain.

I decided physical therapy is not a professional opinion but a physical act.  I can do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment